Wednesday, July 4, 2012


August 2010

There was a power outage last night at 8:30.
Through the sliding glass doors I was able to see the full sky, which in the rare darkness left by the the Park-and-Ride lights and all other lights being out, including Safeway, gave me a clear view of all the stars one sees in a black sky.
There were some low clouds on the Eastern horizon emitting
occasional flashes of lightning, and it was a bit windy.

I happened to look down and there was an owl sitting on the railing
of my balcony. He was sitting on the corner by the opened door.
Af first I thought it was a hawk, as a couple are frequently seen on the other side of the building, but as I stood at the door, three feet away from the bird, I could see that it was an owl.
As car-headlights would come past, I was able to see spots and lines in the feathers, which ruffled like hair in a breeze.

I stood there, as it sat looking around, for at least fifteen minutes. 
I was excited. 
What a thrill. It is the first time I've seen an owl in person, and up so close.

Disqus